Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Entry the Sixth

From the ashes of the Fire Mephits, we found a key to the Fire Temple. Deiter was able to combine the two into a Grand Key, which would grant us access to the cult's inner sanctuary. We found a safe hiding spot and bedded down for the night. Before letting my defenses drop to sleep for the night, I continue to update the log of our adventures. I wish I could recall the date. My friends and I have been down here so long, we've lost all reference points to the calendar. It feels like many seasons, but I suspect it's been a few weeks in reality. I chuckle at the notion of reality. I've been known to slow down time, and bend space to move across battlefields instantly. But for now the best title I have for these entries is to list them in sequence until I see the true sky again.

This morning we began our march back to the large gate of the Outer Thane. Neebo strummed a lute, singing a dirge of our inevitable triumph over the foul cult that infests the mountain's veins. After a few hours of walking, we could hear a roar throughout the caves. It was like the crashing of a wave, but never ending. Soon we could make out voices, screaming for the blood of the intruders. Neebo suggested we move faster.

Eventually they caught up to us - a horde of robed Doom Dreamers, servants of the Earth and Water Temples. An eclectic mix of every race I've ever known, and many I did not. Although they often took swipes at each other with whatever weapons they had on hand, the majority of their rage was definitely focused on us. We neared our goal, but was a long desperate dash to reach the enormous door that had kept us from reaching the temple's Inner Thane. Vertical columns of gargoyles outlined the door, callously observing our hectic approach. Koda was the first to reach the door, and used the newly formed Grand Key. As I caught up to the less armored heroes, I took no notice of whatever lay beyond the threshold, my only thought was to escape the screaming hordes behind us. Fortunately we all made it in time to slam the door shut before any of the cult members could stop us from locking them out.

Beyond the door was a vast chamber, oppressively silent. There were statues of female figures carved in stone, but their heads were gloating pyramids. They cast a haunting yellow light throughout the chamber. The statues made my eyes water to look at, not from the bright light but because there was something wrong about the light they cast. It seemed thick, like the room had been preserved in amber before our entry. It was only after shrugging off the effect did I notice the treasure.

Treasure! An enormous pile of it in a twenty foot wide pit! A small army could be equipped by the polished weapons and armor littering this horde of finance. I could plate the entire Temple of the Pointed Stick with so much gold. I knew that this could help us triumph over whatever forces lay inside the Inner Thane, so I went to investigate. Koda and Neebo shot angry looks for my distraction, that I had not taken time to secure the area. I froze in place, chided and embarassed like a school child. I had just turned to join my team when I noticed a rippling effect in the pile of coins. Neebo continued to move to the corners of the room, preparing to investigate the chamber's forked exit, when he literally bumped into a red dragon.

In his defense, the dragon had been invisible. She revealed herself in all her glory, radiating outrage. Her formidable form stood between us and the only exit. She screamed in the draconic tongue, and demanded to know how we gained entrance. Neebo argued politely, that we were agents of the Fire Temple. Surprisingly, I saw our clothes shimmer and change. We were now clothed in the raiments of the Fire Temple. The dragon hesitated, and considered our leader's tale. She wanted to know who had sent us. Neebo explained we were agents of D'Gron, ruler of the Fire Temple. There had been a plot by the other temples to combine forces over throw them, and we had flew inside at his command to escape servants of the other temples. The Dragon refused these credentials, and lunged to kill the bard. I had to scramble to join the fray while the others tried to flank the beast. The dragon managed to maul Rikka before I was able to get her full attention. Finding herself surrounded, she billowed flame over the whole team, but we held firm. To escape, the beast screamed with such force that I can barely remember what happened next, but when I shook off the effect I saw the she had fled to the other side of the chamber. Clearly she didn't realize what she was dealing with. I got a full running start and bent the space between us, crossing the pit instantly. I held the beast in place while the others caught up. Unfortunately, wrangling with the lizard took the last of my strength. It's jaw clamped around me and drug me to the ground. I awoke to find that the others had finished the job. After Neebo patched up my wounds I helped in dividing up the dragon's horde. It was easilya greater haul than we could carry, but I found a new shield and finally a suit of armor that could contain Rog's girth.

We would have loved to rest at that point, but Koda knew there was no way to fortify this room from the temple's servants. Neebo declared the chamber had a splendid acoustic quality, and began to play. He knew a tune with a power to dull those who heard it, to lull them into a tranquil state Of course it would have no effect on his friends while Koda scouted ahead to find a place to rest. The cat man left silently, his movements muffled by the haunting melody. He reported back that there was a den of enormous ogres, resting as though they'd had a holiday feast. We weighed our odds and decided to ambush them where they napped.

Koda darted in first, with a hissing battle cry throwing knives into the sleeping giants. With the signal given, I moved like lightning to establish a choke point. The element of surprise had granted an enormous yield. Unfortunately, the giants layed hands on the nearest, biggest objects - their patio furniture - and lobbed it straight at me. The ogres wielded vorpal recliners, made of solid wrought iron and covered in barbed spines. I was knocked senseless by the blow. Have no doubt in your mind, reader, that these atacks have had any effect on my descriptive capacity. This was the meanest set of furniture I'd ever laid eyes on. Rog retaliated by walking past the choke point to wade into the middle of the room and started swinging like the wrath of the god of your choosing. I was disappointed that my strategy was ignored, but at least giants were split clean in two. I saw a bundle of robes fly over my head as Rikka leapt and kicked every single ogre square in the teeth before returning to my side. When my ears stopped ringing, I heard the most magnificent sound - my own name lauded in song. Neebo spun a wondrous tale of my blinding speed and strength. Thusly honored, I had no choice but to rise to the occasion and return to the fight. The giants fell quickly, their own armor lacking the fortitude of their living room furniture. Unfortunately, the ogre's den would be just as hard to fortify as the dragon's chamber, and we pressed on. Scrounging through a supply room, Koda found a potion to revitalize ourselves as the day grew long. It's effects were promised to be monumental in scope. The team agreed that we would only drink the potion as a last resort, as there was only enough liquid for three sips.

I wish I could say that it was not needed, but the potion was drank before the end of this terrible day.

No comments:

Post a Comment